Paris, April 25, 2006 – JCDecaux (Euronext Paris: DEC), the number one outdoor advertising company in Europe and Asia-Pacific, and number two worldwide, has been chosen by the City of Brussels to install and manage its self-service bicycle hire system, Cyclocityâ.
JCDecaux is the world leader in this new area of street furniture and has successfully developed the area of eco-friendly transport with its system of self-service bicycles. The Group currently manages more than 2,500 bicycles through contracts in Spain, in large cities like Vienna (Austria) and Lyon (France). Its bicycles cover more than 40,000 km every day.
Starting in September this year, JCDecaux will provide residents and tourists in Brussels with a fleet of 250 bicycles available from 23 bicycles racks covering the main centres of interest and destinations in the Belgian capital. Cyclocityâ intends to become a truly complementary public transport system by promoting transport links through the use of eco-friendly transport.
Jean-Charles Decaux, Co-CEO of JCDecaux, said: “JCDecaux was able to meet the requirements of the City of Brussels by providing its residents with a public bicycle hire system that was extremely reliable and already successful in other large cities so that the service could be installed quickly and efficiently.
We also met the City’s other objective to develop intermodality at the bus and tramway shelters for which we have also been awarded the present contract. This initial contract in Belgium will create a new impetus to the development of environmentally friendly transport systems in more cities that are already being adopted around the world.”
Key Figures for the Group:
- 2005 revenues: €1,745.2M
- JCDecaux is listed on the Eurolist of the Euronext Paris stock exchange, and is part of the Euronext 100 and FTSE4Good indices
- N°1 worldwide in street furniture (318,000 advertising panels)
- N°1 worldwide in airport advertising with 153 airports and more than 300 transport contracts in metros, buses, tramways and trains (207,000 advertising panels)
- N°1 in Europe for billboards (190,000 advertising panels)
- N°1 in outdoor advertising in China (79,000 advertising panels in 20 different cities)
- 715,000 advertising panels in 46 countries
- Present in 3,400 cities with over 10,000 inhabitants
- 7,900 employees
Press Relations Investor Relations
Agathe Albertini Alexandre Hamain
Tel: +33 (0)1 30 79 34 99 Tel: +33 (0)1 30 79 79 93
Fax: +33 (0)1 30 79 75 39 Fax: +33 (0)1 30 79 77 91